Question
Posted by: Naz | 2009-10-09

5 HTP

Dear Doc, I am trying to decrease my use of Lorien and want to know if you have any comment on 5-HTP? On the internet it says it is a direct precursor for the neurotransmitter serotonin (the “ feel good”  hormone). 5-HTP has profound mood-lifting and anti-depressant effects (but without the side effects).

I am not convinced that the consumption of 5-HTP itself is helpful. Lorien has more reliable useful benefits on your serotonin levels. And as the side-effects one experiences with Lorien or any other SSRI antidepressant would be due to the raised serotonin levels, if eating 5HTP significantly raised your brain serotonin levels, it would probably have the same side-effects.