Posted by: Linda Opperman | 2009-07-13

5 fruit and veg per day ?

I don' t know if I am a complete idiot or not but I don' t understand the 5 portions fruit and veg per day, when it comes to the quantity that qualifies the 5 per day.
We are trying our best to eat properly but I don' t see us eating like 5 cups of different veg or fruit every day.
Please explain to me in more detailed quantities.

Dear Linda
Fruit portions are usually one medium-sized fruit, e.g. 1 banana, 1 apple, 1 orange, 1 small bunch of grapes, 1/2 cup of mixed fruit salad, 2 tablespoons of dried fruit, 1/2 cup of fruit juice, etc. Vegetables with a low energy content like lettuce, cucumber, or celery can be eaten in larger quantities to make up a portion. For the rest of the vegetables 1/2 cup cooked carrots, butternut, sweet potato, cabbage, broccoli, pumpkin, etc are regarded as one portion. So to have 5-a-day, you could drink 1/2 cup of any fruit juice at breakfast, eat 1 apple as a snack, have a 1/2 cup of mixed salad for lunch and eat a boiled sweet potato and 1/2 cup of broccoli for supper.
Hope this helps