Posted by: Keto | 2009-01-19

5 and half year old girl not eating well

Dear Doc

I have a 5 and half year old girl who is not eating properly. She prefers fizzy drinks like Coca Cola instead of food. I have tried for sometime now to persuade her to eat without any success. I am worried about her weight which is far lower than you would expect for a girl her age. Please help.

Dear Keto
Children of 5,5 years should weigh approx. 15 kg and be about 101 cm tall. Your daughter is old enough to understand a sensible conversation, so I would recommend that you sit down with her and ask her if she would like to grow up to be healthy and beautiful. If she says, "Yes" then you need to explain to her that she will not grow normally if she just drinks Coca Cola and that besides ruining her appetite, her teeth will start developing holes. Tell her that growing girls need to drink milk and eat a whole lot of different foods to make sure that they grow normally and be healthy. These foods include: breakfast cereals or porridge, yoghurt, cheese, eggs, meat, fish, chicken, plenty of fruit and vegetables, brown rice, samp, dry cooked or canned beans, peas or lentils, and about 2 tablespoons of tub margarine or sunflower oil a day. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the article on 'Diets for Toddlers; to see what and how much she needs to eat every day. You can even print out the articles and show them to her. Tell her that she can still have a glass of coke as a treat on weekends and above all DON'T buy any fizzy drinks, cookies, sweets, etc, so that there is no temptation in the house.