Posted by: Smee | 2008-11-04

4yr old' s attitude

Ex-hubby and I recently divorced, althoug we' re still in the same house, as the house needs to be sold first before we can move on. Thing is, he is V-E-R-Y uninvolved in our 4-yr old' s life - and here I' m only talking playing with her and spending some quality time, I' m not even touching the subject of discipline or scholastic involvement as it is non-existant.

Thing is, my child and I get along like a house on fire, but the minute Pappa gives her an iota of attention (roughly about 10min, once a month, I kid you not), she turns on me like I' m the queen biatch?!?!? Then it' s screaming matches and blatantly ignoring instructions and/or questions.

Why is this so, and what can I do to better it?

An unfortunately complex situation. Maybe she craves Pap's attention, and senses some degree of hostility between the two of you ; maybe imagines that by acting out against you, she may get into his favour, and get more attention than otherwise ? Try asking this question also in the Parenting Forum to learn more aboutwhat other parents do

Posted by: Smee | 2008-11-05

Thanks CS and CV !!!

CS - this makes perfect sense! Thank you :)

CV - I was FORCED into that situation, believe me, if given half a chance, I' d be outta there like a bullet from a gun!! Hopefully things never turn this way for you :)

Reply to Smee
Posted by: CV | 2008-11-04

Hi Smee

I have this problem with my MIL. My son is going to be in 2weeks time. When we are alone, he is the sweetest , and same when dad and sisiter are around BUT the minute granni walks in ................ i loose him. And yes there is tension ( of sorts) between MIL and i but thats another sound altogether.

I think these LO pick up the animosity and they use it to their advantage.... clever litle things they are .
Your home situation must be very difficult, my hubby and i were discussing that the other day , " if ever we were to divorce , would we be able to live in the same house still"  AND I THINK NOT!!!
Best of Luck

Reply to CV