Question
Posted by: Trace | 2008/08/14

4weeks

Hi there,
I went for my first scan today. I am pregnant with my 2nd child. My last period started on the 29th June. The scan said I am 6 weeks. However my Gynea said the sac is only 4 weeks. He said there is nothing to worry about, it is normal. But I don' t understand. Please explain how they work out how far you are.
Thanks, Trace

It is worked out from your last period, which would make you 6 weeks. If the sac size is 4 weeks and a fetal heart was present, this would still make you closer to 6 weeks. You also don't say whether it was possible to see the fetus.