Posted by: Mpho | 2009-09-03

40 weeks preg, overdue?

Hi Dr, I am stressed and hope you can advise. I am 40 weeks pregnant today, i am 30 years old and it is my first pregnancy. My Dr said my due date was 2 sept, and a 3D scan I did said my 10 sept. I am in good health, havent experienced any health problems since. My Dr tells me, i should induce labour on 9 sept as i risk having complications like meconium if i dont. He says the baby is still high up, and is too big to can fit thru my pelvic bones. The baby turned down at a normal time and all development has been fine. I have recently experienced pain in my pelvic area,white + watery discharge and some contractions, he said it was normal. Does what I say make sense? Should I be induced? Is it not unnecessarily risky? If my health is good, shud I not wait for nature to take its course? Shud I get a second opinion rather?

The risks of a pregnancy continuing longer than 41 weeks are greater for the baby. I would agree with your doctor that you should be induced if you do not go into labour before then.