Posted by: Jacqui | 2009-07-17

40 Something Pregnancy?

I have read so much on the subject but I couldn' t be more confused. I am 40, healthy, a non-smoker and non-drinker. (However I am unfit and could lose 10-15kg' s). I had two previous pregnancies (18 and 20 years ago) without complications up to labour. I did not dilate and both deliveries were ceasareans which delivered healthy babies.
My husband and I have been discussing the possibility of having a child together (we are both in our second marriages) and I really just need sensible advice. I have read about chromosonal defects, Turner syndrome, pre eclampsia, risk of developing fibroids, miscarriage etc but then another source will tell me the previous sources are being unnecessarily over cautious.
Is it selfish of us to want a baby at our age, considering the risks to the child itself? What would you advise me if I was your patient?

Your input would be greatly appreciated and any feed back from other visitors to the forum as well.

Dear Jacqui

There are certainly risks associated with having a pregnancy at age 40 and beyond and you have essentially mentioned the likely possibilities. However one has to carefully look at the risk factors in terms of their likelihood of occurring and weight that against the desire to have a baby as well as the optimistic outcomes if appropriate diagnostic methods are applied and appropriate obstetrical care is instituted. In my experience the majority if not all of the likely possible complications can be dealt with adequately or diagnosed timeously and therefore I see no substantial reason for not going ahead with conception.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim