Question
Posted by: minki | 2010/07/12

40 approaching

Hi Fitness Doc

I will be 40 in exactly 3 yrs time. My BMI is around 24 presently and i weigh 70kg and 1.69m tall. I have 2 kids last born is already 4. SO i need sum guidance ito getting in super shape for my 40th. I currently do the foll:

Eat a low Gi mostly diet but i do have many weak moments in the diet dept

I try to exercise 4 days a wk for 1 hr mostly cardio runnin on treadm and bike. I also have home videos with a ball, yoga and if i need to can invest in sum dumbells. I have a typical post caesarian pouch and have never had a flat tummy even b4 kids was always a bit rounded on the tummy area.

What i want by 40

To be fit and healthy but mostly i want a six pack (IS THIS POSSIBLE BY THE WAY NEVER MET A WOMAN WITH KIDS WHO WENT ON TO ACHIEVE SIX PACK FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THEIR LIFE ONLY ONE I KNOW WAS A BODY BUILDER ALL HER LIFE)
I also want nicely defined but skinny arms not too much muscle just nice and feminine. How do i achieve my goal in 3 yrs with a tight budget and no personal trainer, as mentioned all the equipment i already have and the yoga vids so IS IT POSSIBLE AT ALL? HOW SO?

Hi Minki

I think you're doing the right kinds of things, so you just need time and discipline. Everything you've said is correct - the cardio, the number of times a week, the dumbells for toning.

So the ingredients are there. The thing is how you "mix" them and how long you sustain this for, because it's a long term process. The best thing you can do is to find a goal. Your goals are all valid, but very difficult to sustain, because the progress can be slow. So my advice is to find a performance goal - your first 10km, or cycling the Argus, or joining a club or something like that. If you do that, then you have purpose and motivation and it's really very valuable.

Other than this, you just need to stick with it, and as you get fitter, make sure you adjust up and work continue to challenge yourself. You are fighting against biology, and I'm not going to lie to you - it does get more difficult as you get older. But it's possible to get healthier, but really the performance/fitness goal is key.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010/07/20

Hi Minki

Reply to fitnessdoc