Posted by: Sharon | 2011-09-29

4 yr old restless sleeper

My daughter of 4 sleeps in her own room but comes through to our room every night from around 11h30 and I allow her to sleep with us then but she kicks and turns all night long, leaving me tired and grumpy EVERY day. She is also moody and grumpy during the day. She goes to bed at 7pm every night and falls asleep quite quickly. Why does she wake up every night. Has been like this for the last 3 years. Sometimes we have a week every few months where she sleeps through in her own room. I''m exhausted!!! The Doctor seems to think I shouldn''t worry as she''ll grow out of this, but what about me...

Expert ImageSleep Expert

She does this because you let her! A child's first priority is attention - the more the merrier. She needs to understand that she can come to you any time she has a problem, but her own bed is where she sleeps.

When she arrives at night, sooth her, take her firmly by the hand, and lead her back to bed. If she reappears, her father should then do it - that way the message is loud and clear that she is not going to manipulate one parent against the other.

Be firm - she will not come to any harm, and both you and she will get a decent night's sleep.

Posted by: Sharon | 2011-10-02

Thank you... Will give it a try:)

Reply to Sharon