Question
Posted by: anonymou | 2010/08/23

4 year old grinding teeth

my 4 year old boy is grinding his teeth while he is sleeping. sounds terrible and dont know the cause of it all.
some advise will be appreciated.

This bothersome condition is technicaly known as Bruxism. In very mild forms it may not cause problems ; when more severe it can cause tooth damage, headaches, even jaw problems. It is not fully understood, and a wide range of possible causes have been suggested. It does not seem to be related to anything serious or awful, and most of the time no apparent :cause" is discovered.
The good news is that most kids grow out of it without damage or further problems. Mouth guards can be made by a dentist, to protect the teeth, but could be a problem with a kid of this age. The person most likely to be able to check that the teetch are OK, and to advise, wopuld be a good dentist used to working with kids and with experience in this field.

2
Posted by: b m | 2010/08/23

Hi anonymous, Im 27 and I have been grinding my teeth for years, there is not much you can do to stop it. I went to the dentist and they make a mouth guard that you use while you sleep, instead of grinding your teeth you grind the guard, im not sure how it will work with a four year old but take him to the dentist. They will have the best advice.

Reply to b m