Question
Posted by: help | 2012-01-31

4 year old daughter

Hi Doc,

I hope you can assist. My daughter in turning 4 in 2weeks. She has been in 1 Creche since she was 4months. She has always progressed faster than her piers (some of them slightly older than her, born in the last 3 months the year before), I mention this because as you know in children this age a few months makes a huge difference. Anyway....
She is now 3 going on 4 and has been in the her class for 1 year 7 months, now the creche wants her to be in the same class for another year before they move her to the last class (grade RR). The will only go to grade R Jan 2014.
According to her current teacher she is fully prepared for her current class and her teacher will for the next her TRY to bring in some extra work for her so she doesn''t get board. MY QUESTION, 1. would it be beneficial to her to rather be in the Grade RR class for 2year instead of spending another year in her current class? 2. Should I have her tested and by whom?
Thank you in advance!

I uderstand your concern, but this is really not a psychiatric question. And much depends on the content and teaching of he dieren clases --- here is NO useful research on such issues in such very young children. And testing of kids so young is ofen unhelpful, and may not be a useful guide to likely predicted performance in specific classes. WHy can't the creche let her proced ? If she srugles unduly, they can always bring her back a little till she catches up ? Lets hear from oher moms with experience with these creche classes

4
Posted by: Maria | 2012-01-31

If I understand correctly the grade R is not at the creche? It might be worse for your daughter to stay behind in RR for a second year when all her classmates leave the school, than to stay behind this year. Please don''t push her a year ahead. Read a book called Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, he makes a compelling case for the benefits of being the oldest in a class rather than the youngest.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: help | 2012-01-31

Thank you all..... only reason they do not want to move her is ''cause she is only turning 4 this year whereas all her classmate who was moved over is turning 5, she has been in class with them since she was a baby and has always move to the next class before most of them.

Reply to help
Posted by: Maria | 2012-01-31

Lucky kid, being a January baby. That will be to her advantage later on as well. You could have her tested by an educational psychologist but I think that will be overkill. While she might be intellectually ready for RR, what about emotionally? What are the creche''s reasons for not wanting to put her in RR this year?

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Liza | 2012-01-31

You can take her to a child psychologist for review. Sometimes children aren''t ready psychologically even if they''re ready academically. My youngest was like this. I had him assessed and was told that even though he was ready academically, he wasn''t ready psychologically. I haven''t regretted not pushing him. Today he''s the top achiever in his grade and is doing very well socially too. As a child, I was pushed ahead because I was ahead academically - but I wasn''t ready psychologically. I was the victim of teasing and bullying for most of my school career and it really hammered my self-esteem.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza