Question
Posted by: Lin | 2010/07/13

4 year old boy talks in sleep

My son talks in his sleep. Whole, understandable sentences. He''ll keep on talking until I answer him and then he goes back to sleep. This happens 5 - 8 times a night. What could be the cause of something like this? I''m worried about the quality amount of sleep he gets. He doesn''t sleep during the day.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

This is really quite normal. One goes into a dream phase of sleep every hour or so. Normally the muscles are paralysed, so we don't act out our dreams. Especially in young people, this mechanism sometimes is not fully developed, and so the sleep-talking may happen. It will not affect the quality of sleep, and it can safely be ignored.

If he should start sleep-walking, then there is a danger that he could hurt himself, and that would be another issue.

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2010/07/14

Reply to Sleep expert