Posted by: stormy11 | 2009-02-04

4 slices white bread

hi doc im 20 years old and i weigh 118kg im 1.74m tall. my question is how many calories does 4 slices of white bakers or albany bread contain?
this is the only bread i can eat and im trying to loose weight so i have decided to have 4 slices a day 2 for breakfast and 2 for lunch.

let me know wat you think

many thanx

Dear Stormy11
Your present BMI = 38,9 which is very, very high. I don't have the energy content of Albany bread, but according to the SA Food Tables white bread contains 239 kcal per 100g, thus each slice weighing about 25 g would contain 60 kcal and the 4 slices a day would provide 239 kcal. Do you intend eating only these 4 slices of bread a day and nothing else? This is not a balanced way of losing weight. Do try an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) and discuss the use of Xenical with your gp because you would need to lose 28 kg to get back into the overweight range (BMI = 30) and 45 kg to get back into the normal range (BMI = 25). Xenical can help you to start losing weight. It is used together with a very-low-fat diet which will reduce your energy intake and promote weightloss. Also consider consulting a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you with this task. If you find that you are not losing weight with these regimens then I would recommend that you contact the Bariatric Centres of Excellence in regard to having a gastric bypass to assist weightloss. You can contact Jana Derksen at the Call Centre for the Netcare Bariatric Centres of Excellence on 0861-623-7489 or contact her at: or call her on her cell phone at: 072-373-0155 or visit their Website at to discuss this option if you have a great deal of weight to lose. As you start losing weight and get more mobile, include 30 min of exercise each day - for example, going for walks. Increase how fast and far you walk as you get fitter. Exercise is excellent for promoting weightloss.

Posted by: Manda | 2009-02-04

Why is it the only bread you can eat??? what about healthy alternatives such as crackerbread, provita or even rye bread. White bread is very fattening so why not cut it out of your diet if you are trying to lose weight.

Reply to Manda