Question
Posted by: LIEZLE | 2010-03-30

4 MONTH OLD BLOCKED NOSE (adenoid?)

Hi there, please help me with the following. my son development a blocked nose (clear white nasal congestion) when he was on lactogen formula. His nose cleared up for 3 weeks after his formula was changed to Nan Hypo Allergenic. For the past week his nose is very blocked and his nasal congestion is green. i clean his nose with saline, but he started snoring 2 nights ago becuase of his difficulty breathing. his pead says it is not his milk but he could have an enlarged adenoid. what are the symptoms of an enlarged adenoid and if he has that where do I take him from here to fix it. what will be procedures be on a 4 month old baby?

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Liezle

Children are born with a large adenoid pad, this refers to tissue found at the back of the nasal cavity, as it goes into the throat. This tissue is similar to tonsillar tissue, and will enlarge and may cause nasal blockage. Due to obstruction, you will hear a snoring sound. Adenoids usually dissappear in the early teens, but may require removal if they cause problems in children. Your baby is far to small to consider removal, as this is only recommended after the age of one year.
Your paedeatrician may recommend a nasal drop if the symptoms become really bad. Check with your doctor on future management.