Posted by: Mom | 2010-07-20

3yr old with eczema

I would like to find out more about contacting a naturopath with regards to my son''s eczema. He has had skin issues since 3mths of age which were controllable, but it had flared up terribly for the last 7/8mths.

Conventional treatment (cortisone - Advantan, antihistamines, emulsifying creams &  ointments etc) prescribed by my GP dont seem to work. It covers his legs, arms, torso, neck, chin, behind ears, on eyelids. He is constantly itchy and it is affecting his sleep. We have even done wet wraps. Just when it seems to be improving, it comes back again with a vengeance a day later. Wehave also done skin prick allergy testing and I have been keeping a diary of food, environmental changes, for the past 2months to spot patterns which could be triggering it to flare up.
I changed cleaning regimen, only wears cotton clothes, lukewarm baths with aquous cream, dust mite covers on pillows and mattresses, 100 % natural laundry detergents....

I hope to have better luck with a naturopath, as I am becoming increasingly frustrated with my GP. He doesnt seem to understand my frustration and just carries on prescribing cortisone. Any mention of diet/other sensitivities - he immediately tells me it is pointless. Please could you give me an indication as to whether a naturopath could help me with this problem. I dont know where to turn.

Expert ImageNatural health

i would suggest a naturopath and or homoeopath. If their is skin symptoms this is a way of the body trying to eliminate toxins or a substance. Start immediately with high levels of Fish oil. The gut health should also be addressed for eczema (again a symptom of something internally going on).

Keep well
Dr Debbie