Question
Posted by: Portia | 2011/04/21

3yr old behaviour

Dear Doc,
My son is turning 3 in 2 week''''s time. His behaviour at creche has worsened. He spends alot of timeout at creche as a form of discipline because he takes toys from other children or throws them with things. This behaviour was never present, but as soon as my husband comes back from offshore, then my son acts up. This the teacher has noticed that when daddy is gone, my child is fine, but when daddy is back, my son''''s behaviour changes. He becomes less patient, grabs every toy and takes chances. My husband has this attitude to buy my son toys every day no matter if he plays with it or not. To make up for the times he''''s away. I think this causes my son''''s behaviour at creche. It''''s becoming a concern at creche and I''''ve asked my husband to stop, but he laughs it off. Please tell me if him entertaining my son with toys all the time could be the factor in this case? When he wants my son to sit with him he''''ll say "  daddy''''s gonna buy you a toy"  , etc. I dont want my son to loose his friends or be kicked out from creche. Please please help me

I responded to this the other time you posted this question. Good response from ane !

2
Posted by: Anne | 2011/04/21

It sounds like your son is looking for attention. Maybe daddy should do stuff with him rather than buy his affection with toys. Dad probably feels guilty for being away from him and is compensating for that with the toys. The trouble though is, it isnt doing the child any good at all. I would ask hubby to swop buying him toys with rather spending more quality time with him. Just my thoughts.

Reply to Anne