Question
Posted by: Charles | 2009-01-28

&#39 Junk Food' 

Hi Doc,

Just wanted to ask you how many times a week/month should one eat ' junk food' ? I eat a very healthy diet &  have a BMI of 23.9 but every week I crave a burger &  chips &  pizza. Is it alright to have this every week, once a week (obviously not on the same day &  usualy I will halve my portion &  eat the rest later in the week) or should I cut down?

Thanks for your help!

Dear Charles
The problem with so-called 'junk foods' is that they usually have a very high fat content (e.g. the chips and the pizza). However the Dietetic Association of SA has the approach that there are 'no good foods and no bad foods', just 'good and bad eating habits'! So if you have meal a week that features a burger and chips or pizza, and you don't start eating these foods every day, then this should not be detrimental to your dietary intake. The problem usually is that people start getting addicted to these foods and before they know they are eating them every day and then they start piling on the kgs and making their blood fat levels rise.

2
Posted by: Charles | 2009-01-28

Also I forgot to mention that I have gained about 10 kilos in the last few months by eating junk food about 6 days a week!

I think this is a vast improvement!

Thanks for your advice Kelly :)

Reply to Charles
Posted by: kelly | 2009-01-28

Hi Charles, i think just allow yourself one " cheat"  day per week where you can indulge a little, but in moderation of course, shouldnt harm the diet. Also if you dont indulge every so often then the cravings become hectic. so dont worry too much. i diet during the week and then come sunday i will have a slice of pizza or a chocolate. good luck

Reply to kelly