Posted by: Martie | 2009-07-28

&#39 Depression'  was low testosterone

Hi Doc. I took my husband for blood tests. The results are: Estradiol < 18 (28-156), Tot Testosterone 15.16 (9.9-27.8), SHBG 64.45 (14-48), Ber Bio Testos 1.57 (2-10.47). He is only 38. What can be done to reduce the SHBG? Wouldn' t the SHBG just bind testosterone supplements? Can GP treat him or should he see an urologist? Also fasting glucose was 5.9 (3.9-5.5). He eats very healthy as he is an athlete. We appreciate your advice!

HI Martie
SBG increases with a variety of reasons in cluding diabetes - see borderline glucose
he definitely needs to be fully evaluated by a doc
while GP's and Urologists are capable of evaluating this - its normally peripheral to normal practice. You need a doc that has had some training in the Aging Male medicine
call our helpline for a referral to a practitioner in your area
0860 100 262

Posted by: Martie | 2009-08-02

Hi Doc. Will taking nettle root supplements help with SHBG? I dont generally believe in herbal supplements. I also read that giving testosterone treatment will cause the testis to stop producing their own testosterone and undergo atrophy. The doctors we saw up to now does not consider his levels necessary of treatment. Please help!

Reply to Martie