Question
Posted by: Wends | 2008/06/05

38 Yr Old Woman - 5kgs

Hi I am 38yrs old, weigh 65kgs and I'm 1.65m. I have been trying to lose 5kgs for the past 5 years - it doesn't matter what exercise I do or how healty I eat or whatever diet I follow - my does not budge. I have recently become vegetarian due to a bowel problem and now eat healthier than anyone I know but guess what my weight hasn't budged one inch. I exercise, run, walk, cycle, do taebo and all that happens is my muscle mass increases...I want to pull my hair out. I started taking herbex for women 20-50 - will that do anything?? Can I try nobese short term?

Dear Wends
The human body will resist attempt to disturb its so-called 'homeostasis' (a balanced state). Because your present weight is still well within the normal range (your BMI = 23,9), you will struggle to lose weight. I would personally not resort to using diet pills (herbal or pharmaceutical), but rather cut down on fat intake. It is also possible that the fact that you are so active has increased the percentage of muscle tissue in your body and muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue, so you may 'weigh' more than you would like, but your body must surely be firm and trim with all that exercise?