Posted by: Chadley McVeigh | 2009-10-11

365 facts and myths of mental illness

Hi Doc,

I am an " openly mentally ill person"  in an effort to lesson the stigma of mental illness.

I am performing an ongoing search for 365 facts and myths of mental illness which I intend to print and wear in an ID card holder. This is my personal effort to educate myself, my family, loved ones, friends, strangers and the general public about mental illness.

My question: I am kind of lazy... So, do you have such a list?

Interesting idea, C. I strongly support eforts to reduce sitgma, prejudices and general ignorance about mental illness, and especially discrimination against peoplem who happen to have this rather than other forms of illness.
I seem to remember thatn in the UK, the Royal College of Psychiatrist for some years ran an anti-stigma campaign I haven't looked on their web-site lately, but check it out as to whether there is any material from their campaign available on-line. Similarly, Google relevant terms like "Anti-Stigma, Mental Health" and so on. Its often wise to start with some material others have tried and tested, and adapt it or improve on it yourself, rather than starting entirely from scratch.
Liza's idea of a web-site is a good idea, especially as you could then launch one of your 365 comments each day, archiving them cumulatively. Almost mad's suggestion is a good example ; including the idea that "you can always tell" someone with such problems. In deed, the idea that people with such problems are always Other People, and not recognizing that so often, at one time or another, it is US.

Posted by: almost mad | 2009-10-12

Mentally ill cannot look and seem normal- thats a myth

Reply to almost mad
Posted by: Liza | 2009-10-12

I think that it' s a great idea to educate people on mental illness - although 365 facts and myths are quite a lot. I' ll come up with some and list them on the forum on Friday. I doubt whether I will come up with 365 however. Perhaps some of the other readers will be able to come up with more.

Good Luck!

PS. For a cause like this, how about setting up a website too? Let me know if you' re interested - I will donate my website development skills.

Reply to Liza