Question
Posted by: BM | 2010/01/26

36 and in menapause

Doc, I am now 37 and had a hysterectomy at 35 but kept my ovaries. The reason was a 18 -21 day cycle that lasted fr 10 days and was heavy bleeding. Got terrible migraines from the pill. Had 3 kids already and my gynie suggested hysterectomy.

I started to get all the symptoms of menopause and when my gp tested she said I had virtually no estrogen in my body and suggested HRT. I am feeling 500% better since starting HRT.

My question is why did my ovaries stop producing hormones if they were left intact? Is this common?

It is common after a hysterectomy and is related to changes in blood supply to the ovaries which are very close to the uterus.

1