Question
Posted by: Racoon | 2012/05/28

3.5 year old shyness

Dear Prof

I have a 3.5 yo son who tends to be very shy outside the home. He speaks non-stop and well at home, but at school in class he doesn''''t even react to prompts or questions from his teacher? we ran into her at the shops on Sat, and same thing - total expressionless face and not reaction to her. Yet he loves her and goes to school happily? is it an age-thing or something else going on?

Lets see what other more experienced Moms among our readers have to say. Sounds to me like an age-thing, and not likely to be sinister

3
Posted by: Lu | 2012/05/29

My 4year old daughter is the same. She would just look down at the ground and hardly make eye contact if someone greets her, and sometimes she would greet a stranger before the stranger even attempts to greet her....strange!

Reply to Lu
Posted by: Purple | 2012/05/28

I think it is an age thing. When my son was that age, the pre-primary school receptionist and staff said that when they greet a child, all they expect to see is eye contact in return or some mild form of acknowledgement - with time. They said that pushing the issue didn''t help, that all kids start to respond to greetings as they get older.

Reply to Purple