Posted by: Post benzodiazapine HELL, 7 years later! | 2009-02-03

33 year use of sleeping tablets

I used sleeping tablets with my Drs knoweldge for 33 years - he then passed away and all hell broke lose.

I thought I was going to lose my mind, I became totally psychotic! I then joined an online regimen of helping people to get off sleeping meds and tapered over a 3 year period.

In May it is has been 4 years since my last pill but the mental/emotional and physical pain is more than I can bare. I have toughed it out for 7 years but if someone cannot help me find my old self back, my last DEFINITE resort is to take my own life. I just CANNOT live this way any longer. It is hell on earth. Half an hour most nights, other nights zero sleep and on a GOOD night, two hours if I am lucky.

I just cannot do this anymore.....Looking forward to your response......

Doctors who trained years back, remembered Benzo's as wonder drugs --- which, in a way, they were, compared with what came before them ( barbiturates, bromides, etc. ). But they were at first unaware of the potential for benzo's producing dependency and addiction-type problems. And they tended to re-assure patients, tand to write repeat prescriptions ad lib --- and the problems often arose after they died. As you found, especially after taking rather high doses for a long time, one has to taper them off slowly over quite a long period. Congratulations on managing to get yourself free from them, and staying free of them for 4 years.
Now, I gather you now find yourself sleeping very poorly, and obviously find this very upsetting. This CAN be helped --- but get the right specialist --- go and see a good young local psychiatrist to fully assess you now, and to advise on a range of options. There are more modern meds without the problems of benzos;, and which have been round for long enough to disclose their effects reasonably well. And the withdrawal may , for instance, have left you Depressed ( which can also badly disturb one's sleep and feed those gloomy thoughts ). A combination of modern meds carefully used, with CNT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, a highly effective psychological treatmnent with loads of good research confirm it works and of course lacking dependency effects.
I wonder whether side-ways acidentally mis-spoke. There are Sleep Specialists, who can do elaborate tests on one's sleep problems and specialize in finding ways to help --- IF there is a Sleep laboratory near you. There are also highly dangerous quacks who offer what they call "sleep therapy" which is useless and perilous, and they are to be avoided at all costs.

Posted by: sideways | 2009-02-03

Yes, what I meant is go see a Sleep specialist, a certified one, one with psychological training etc. I am going to see a clinical psychologist that specialises in sleep disorders.

Reply to sideways
Posted by: sideways | 2009-02-03

Go see another Doctor and a sleep therapist and get their opinions and assistance. I promise I know what you are going through. I am 30 years old and have been on sleeping tablets since I was 23. I am now not able to sleep with half a sleeping tablet, I need more and more. I am going to see a sleep therapist tomorrow in order to try and move off the drugs and on to a better life. I too am going insane without sleep, especially seeing as I rise in the morning with that sleeping tab drowsiness but I haven' t actually slept. It' s scary. My point is, don' t give up hope. Find a psychologist, a sleep therapist and a doctor and let them work together to try and assist you. I can' t sleep because I am always anxious and can' t stop my mind from racing with a million thoughts per second. There are probably underlying issues causing your problems too.

Reply to sideways