Question
Posted by: DEE | 2011/04/07

32 YEAR OLDE FEMALE GAINING MORE N MORE WEIGHT UPPER BACK

DEAR DR I NEED TO LOOSE WEIGHT OVERALL BUT MOSTLY AROUND MY UPPER BACK ITS VERY BROAD (MY BRAS ARE ALL GETTING TIGHTER) AND MY UPPER ARMS AND MID SECTION BECAUSE OF MY PREGNANCY
WHICH EXCERSICE CAN I DO TO TARGET UP UPPER BACK PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ME
HOW MUCH OF CARDIO SHOULD I DO 4 TIMES A WEEK
ANY WEIGHT EXCERSICE TO COMBAT THAT UPPER BACK SECTION THANK YOU

Hi Dee

Regardless of where the area to target is, the answer is the same. And the answer is to focus on cardio, not specific weight exercises.

This is perhaps the most common question, even those who exercise regularly. It’s particularly troublesome as we get older, because we lose muscle mass and that makes it more and more difficult to combat the body’s frustrating tendency to store fat, which is really the problem here. Our genes determine where that fat is deposited, which is why some people battle with the stomach, others with arms or thighs.

Regardless of the location, the key is a combination of proper exercise and careful diet. Proper exercise means avoiding the myth that you can spot reduce. That is, there is a perception that you can target specific areas for fat loss by doing very specific exercise. They certainly have a beneficial effect, as I’ll explain, but by themselves are not the solution. So rather than becoming pre-occupied on one area, your aim should be to increase metabolic rate – that’s how you burn fat. You do through regular cardiovascular exercise, which includes cycling, aerobics, taebo, spinning, walking or jogging.
You should then combine this with some weight training. Weight training, which includes sit-ups, is helpful because it increases muscle mass (which has the long-term effect of raising metabolic rate) and because it literally helps create more muscle. More muscle means a more toned appearance. I’d suggest speaking to a trainer at the gym to discover these.

Finally, remember that diet is the great “enabler”. If exercise is perfect, but diet poor, then you undermine your progress. So cover that base, perhaps by seeing a dietician, and get cover all three bases.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/04/25

Hi Dee

Reply to fitnessdoc