Question
Posted by: dee | 2011/04/08

32 YEAR OLD FEMALE

DEAR DR MY SKIN IS OILY BUY DEHYDRATED
I AM CURRENTLY USING ENVIRON SEBUWASH THEN I USE XERODERM SPF 34 AS A MOISTUERISER AND SUNBLOCK AT NIGHT I USE ENVIRON ORIGINAL NIGHT CREAM THE MILD
WHAT CAN I USE TO IMPROVE MY SKIN I WAS ON ACENETANE FOR 5 MONTHS LAST YEAR
I DONT SUFFER FROM PIMPLES ANY MORE
I DO HAVE BLACK MARKS IN MY FACE

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Dee, thank you for the question.

This is a difficult question to answer over the net as one ideally would like to examine the skin before deciding on the best treatment options.

Typically the causes for a dehydrated but oily skin are:

Excessive hard washing of the face and/or the use of granular scrubs, exfoliating brushes, granules, etc.
Enlarged pore size and an increased number of pores with an overproduction of sebum
If one is using granular scrubs this needs to be stopped (gentle twice daily face wash with warm water is adequate) – the skin should not be ‘squeaky’ clean
If pores are the problem then one may have to change the face wash or add a product that will help with reducing pore size and number (such as NeoStrata Oil Control Gel).
All topical products should be oil free
Finally I would consider glycolic acid peels as they will help to increase hydration and reduce the number of pores and the sebum overproduction.

The black marks are most probably pigmentory changes that developed after the acne (post inflammatory pigmentation). Depigmenting creams such as NeoStrata Depigmenting Cream and Brightening Cream can be used but ultimately one may have to consider technology based treatments such as IPL or fractional skin resurfacing.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2011/04/12

Hi Dee, thank you for the question.

All topical products should be oil free

Reply to anti-ageing expert