Question
Posted by: ZD | 2010/05/13

31 YEAR OLD FEMALE WITH OILY BUY DEHYDRATED SKIN

DEAR DR I HAVE OILY BUT DEHYDRATED SKIN I HAVE ALLOT OF PIGMENTATION AND SCARRING FROM ACENE I AM ON ENVIRON PRODUCTS AT THE MOMENT
WHAT SUNCREEN WOULD YOU RECOMMEND
I WENT TO THE LASERDERM CLINIC AND THEY RECOMMENDED I START WITH THE CLARITY RANGE FROM LAMELLE AND COME IN FOR A SALICLIC PEEL ONCE A MONTH
PLEASE DR WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST FOR MY SCARRING THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVISE
OH YES IS HELLOCARE SILK GEL SPF 30 GOOD FOR ME FOR THE SUN THEY GAVE ME A SAMPLE TO TRY OUT WHAT SUNBLOCK WOUL YOU ADVISE THANK YOU

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi ZD, thank you for the question.

Your best option would be to consult a dermatologist or an aesthetic medical practitioner with a special interest in acne prone/oily prone skin and pigmentation/scarring.

As a general rule you need to wash your face gently twice a day and one should never use exfoliating scrubs, brushes, or granules on the skin (do not aim for a ‘squeaky’ clean skin). Only use oil free products (including one’s make up) such as NeoStrata’s Oil Free Moisturizer; as far as I am aware only the Heliocare Gel SPF 50 is oil free and therefore can be used safely on your skin (and not the Silk Gel SPF 30).

It is difficult for me to comment on the Lamelle Clarity Range as I cannot find a list of the ingredients on their web page. Furthermore salicylic acid peels are specifically indicated for treating active acne lesions and not for dehydrated and pigmented skin. Salicylic acid will with long term use slough the skin and even aggravate the dehydration and my personal preference would be to consider a glycolic acid peel which has been shown to improve the appearance of pigmentation and increase hydration of the skin.
The only other advice I can give you is to contact Lamelle directly and ask them for a list of the ingredients used in the Clarity Range and we can go from there.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2010/05/15

Hi ZD, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert