Posted by: Samantha | 2009-05-14

3 yr old still sleeps in my bed

My daughter has just turned 3 and she still gets up at around 1am and climbs into our bed. It leaves us all feeling exhausted in the morning because none of us sleep very well! What is the best way to get her out of this habit. Unfortunately we are in a 1 bed flat so her bed is in our room making it a bit difficult...

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Gently but firmly lead her back to bed. Tell her that you love her, but her bed is where she needs to sleep. When she does it again, your husband should do it, so that she gets the understanding that you are both united in this, and she cant manipulate you. After that, you take her back to bed without speaking to her.

It may take many returns to bed before she gets the message, but usually once you have wheathered the first night, things get much easier.