Question
Posted by: Susan Nagel | 2011/09/27

3 yr old grinding teeth.

My 3 and 1/2 year old son has a very bad temper. He also grind his teeth when his sleeping and like bitting on clothes when he gets excited.
I give him ADDvance Calm throught the day and before bedtime, but the grinding is continuing.
Me and his father have depression and anxiety. I was wondering if we should see this behaviour as alarming or will he grow out of it. I also grind my teeth when I sleep.

There can be a number of causes for tooth grinding, and often its a temporary phase they grow out of. And you say you are also a tooth grinder. However, chronic tooth grinding can cause damage to teeth. Some dentists specialise in helping with this, and can make devices to wear at night to protect the teeth ; and a child psychologist could do an assessment to check if there are any other factors at work here needing attention.

1