Posted by: Freaked out | 2008-11-04

3 yr old ' exploring'  his penis!!!

OMG- Please help me... is this the norm for a 3 yr old- he' d be four in Jan. We curb what the kids watch and do not promote stuff like this (what happens between me and hubby is behind closed doors- as it should be). He' s constantly touching, pulling, looking at his privates...last night he freaked me out when whilst we were sitting on the couch and he was drinking his bottle trying to fall asleep... he was keeping my hand and all of the sudden he put my hand ' there' . Why is he doing this? His sister is almost 8 now and never did things like that... this is scary... any advise will help...
Thanking you

Dear Freaked out
This is quite normal for a 3 year old to be interested in his (and other children's!) private parts and even to masturbate. See
Use it as an educational opportunity and try not to show that it upsets you!

Posted by: Maria | 2008-11-05

Explain that some parts of his body is private and he can only play with it when he is alone.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Je | 2008-11-04

What is my response then if i see him doing weird stuff??? do i yell or turn a blilnd eye???

Reply to Je
Posted by: sans | 2008-11-04

Hi there!

I would think it' s a norm for kids to explore their bodies, remember your son is at an age where he' s learning about his surroundings. He then plays with his penis to find out what it does either than peeing. I don' t think there' s anything out of the norm with his behaviour, except if he does things that would suggest that someone is violating him or he' s being exposed to someone whom is being violated.

Good luck with the little one.

Reply to sans