Question
Posted by: Zee01 | 2011/08/19

3 year old with constant headache

Hello!

Really hoping that you can give me some sort of advice...
My 3 year old little girl constantly has headache.
I do not think she is faking it, and it has been going on for about 2 weeks now...
If I ask her where it is sore she points to her forehead and under her eyes....
Had her at a GP who put her on celestamine, which made no difference. Took her to the ENT yesterday and had a x-ray done, but it is not sinus related....

Our next step is either an eye specialist or pediatric neuroligist....
No pain medication that I have given her works, and I have tried everything I have at home...

Any advice, please???

Thank you so much!

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Zee,

It is always a problem making an accurate diagnosis at that age. It is unlikely that she is faking it, unless you or someone she comes into contact with has complained of headaches affecting the same area - children do sometimes copy adults. I am not saying that this is what has happened in her case, but am just suggesting that it is an outside possibility. Eye problems seldom cause headaches, particularly at that age, so a paediatric neurologist would probably be your best next port of call. An important cause of headaches affecting that area is clenching and grinding of the teeth - does she grind her teeth at night?

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011/08/23

Dear Zee,

Reply to Headache expert