Posted by: Concerned mom | 2010-11-15

3 year old not speaking

Dear Doc

My daughter 3 , turning 4 next year. She''s taking speech lessons for a year now but not much of an improvement. She has had allergy tests done by her paediatrician and these came back as non-specific and he diagnosed her with allergic rhinitis. She also frequently has a runny nose and coughs sometimes at night. She doesn''t snore though but tosses and turns a lot in her sleep. Her hearing is just fine and she understands everything but has problems with expressing herself. She is other is otherwise a normal child.

In the meantime, I read last night that large adenoids can cause speech delays in kids and removal can improve speech. Her half sister had hers removed at an early as she snored really badly. Are enlarged adenoids hereditary and is it possible that this could be delaying her speech? I would also like to know, does one need a Dr''s referral for an ENT specialist''s appointment or can one do this on their own?

Thanking you in advance.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Concerned Mom

Your child should see an ENT to evaluate possible causes for her speech delay, but children tend to talk in their own good time. Regarding large adenoids, this is not hereditary, but allergies are, and this may contribute to enlarged adenoids.
You may make an appointment with an ENT, just make sure your medical aid does not require a referral. Discuss this with your GP, otherwise go anyway, as she really needs an ENT examination.The runny nose and coughing are most likely from the allergies, just check that she is not asthmatic.

Posted by: karisajqq
| 2011-01-30

Reply to karisajqq<br>