Posted by: Worried Teacher | 2011-10-28

3 Year old - Abused?

I hope that I''m asking the right person for advice. I''m a preschool teacher and had a little boy in my class today which raised some concerns.

He is 3, going on 4 and has 2 sisters, 5 and 9. Talking to the mom, there ws a couple of issues that bothered me and reading through the questionaire on the application form made me worried even more.

This boy does not like any men/boys and prefer playing all by himself, he does not like any affection. He does''s like any sort of physical contact (one of he other teachers tried to hug him and he wasin tears, and when I took his hand to let him into the class, there was a huge tantrum). His mom filled in at oneof the questions, that he does not sleep very good and is very ancious, especially in the night when it''s bed time.

Is this all warning signs of abuse, can it be autism or something? I really need some help with this.

Expert ImageBehaviour modification

Thanks for your question. This child needs to be seen by a children's therapist as a matter of urgency. You need to inform the mother that there is an issue. The quickest way to get hold of a councilor is though Lifeline - 0861 322 322. I suggest you do this first and then discuss the matter with the mother once you have the advice from Lifeline and information at hand.