Question
Posted by: me | 2008-12-08

3 year old

My 3 year old seems to be getting more and more attatched to his bottle and dummy. The more we try get rid of it, the more he wants it. Should we be gving in. I think its a security thing. We decided to leave the dummy and just try get rid of his bottles. He doesn'  t have them at night but in the day its a constant fight - he wants a bottle. It doesn'  t make it easy that he has a little brother on bottles.

Try also posting this on the parenting forum. Making a fuss about taking it away from him ( google a topc like Security BlankeT ) wil probably make him cling to these objects all the more desperately. Ignore them for the time being, and after a while, try a little distraction, to interest him in other objects. He may also see it as unfair that little brother gets bottles, while his are grabbed away from him. Mom's comments make a great deal of sense. And Nozi wisely reminds us of one reason for him to feel insecure --- he has a younger rival apparently stealing the exclusive attention he used to have all to himself, and is clinging to symbols of the good old days when he reigned supreme. And as she says, gradually enlist him as a Big Boy in helping care for the baby, and praise him for the more mature things he does, rather than fussing about these small regressions.

4
Posted by: gosh | 2008-12-09

why are you making kids as though it' s out of fashion?? 2 kids on bottles and nappies - geez, dirathane

Reply to gosh
Posted by: me | 2008-12-08

thanks for the help

Reply to me
Posted by: Nozi | 2008-12-08

He' ll grow out of it, just a little insecure because of baby now wanting more attention, no big deal, if it worries you inclide him in feeding the baby, helping to make babies bottle, maybe just by carrying it to baby, tell him his mommies little man, big brother etc and he doesn' t need baby stuff because his a big boy etc. But I wouldn' t worry he' ll grow out of it don' t force him.It' s just insecurity at the mo.

Reply to Nozi
Posted by: Mom | 2008-12-08

I learnt that by not making a fuss over those items they ended up giving them up on their own. Maybe find a replacement that is better like a teddy bear and tell him to share his dummy as the teddy is smaller than him.

He will eventually give them up, and I think forcing the issue can cause them to need them more and cause emotional stress.

Reply to Mom