Posted by: z-z | 2008-11-04

3 week perioid

hi doc
im 22 yrs old, healthy and in a spot of trouble.
i searched your archives looking for anything related but couldnt find an answer.
I' m used to having heavy, painful and irregular periods but now its been going on for almost 3weeks. (very heavy but not painful).
ive made an appointment with a gynae but he can only see me in a weeks time.
im not on birthcontrol pills or devices or anything. im also clear of std' s. never been pregnant. ive also noticed i' m gaining alot of weight. no changes in diet or excercise - just the abnormal bleeding, im assuming it' s high water retention due to the problem. im unaware of any problems like this in my family but its difficult to say for sure.

so my actual question(s) is:
what could be causing this?
what are the questions i should ask my gynae?
what are the tests i should ask for?
would going on the pill prevent this? (i read that somewhere)

thank you for your time

I suspect that you may have PCOS. You could ask your doctor about this. Hormone tests and a scan are done to make the diagnosis. the Pill is used to treat this condition.