Question
Posted by: BB | 2011/03/09

3 Pos Preg Test but NEG bloodtest

Hi, I had 3 positive preg tests but a NEG bloodtest? Why will it be positive on the preg tests? What other than pregnancy will cause this?

Urine pregnancy tests are less accurate than the blood test. If the blood test is negative, this si the result tot fgollow.

2

Posted by: Purple | 2011/03/09

I have also had positive pregnancy tests and a negative blood test, however as my son is 7 now, the home tests were correct and not the blood test.

I''m pregnant now and did a home test that was negative, then two positive home tests. Gynae did a scan and we could see the amniotic sac, so he said not to worry with a blood test since we knew I was pregnant and it wasn''t an ectopic pregnancy. I" m 30 weeks now. Even the gynae on this site when I queried this said that it did not sound like I was pregnant. I am definitely pregnant.

If your hormone levels are falling because you are about to miscarry this can happen. There is enough HCG to register when you do the home tests, but when you do the blood test it has fallen below the level considered as pregnant.

Some home tests are so sensitive that especially if you use morning urine where the HCG levels are very concentrated it will pick up pregnancy about two weeks before a blood test can (which looks for higher levels of hormone).

If you have an ectopic pregnancy (hormone levels fluctuate) you will have some home tests positive, some negative, some positive with feint lines and blood tests will be anywhere inbetween. Part of diagnosing this is going for quantitative beta tests every 48 hours so that they can see what is happening to the hormone levels (rising, tailing off or fluctuating).

I think a molar pregnancy will also give you positive tests. This is where the cells divide but a baby doesn''t actually form.

Human error by the lab technician in doing your blood test could also be a factor.

Reply to Purple