Question
Posted by: Jane | 2010/03/08

3 Meals a Day

Hi Doc,

I would like to know if it is healthy to eat only 3 meals a day instead of 6 small portiens. My meals are mostly high in proteien, very low carbs and the only sugars I take in are the ones found in the fruit I eat.

Dear Jane
According to research that was conducted in the UK, so-called 'nibblers' who eat 6 small, but health low-fat meals a day, tend to be slimmer than the so-called 'gorgers' who eat only 3 larger meals a day. I would suggest that you can certainly eat 3 meals a day provided that your overall diet is well balanced and contains all the food groups (which your diet is not at the moment seeing that you eat only proteins and few carbs!).

2
Posted by: X | 2010/03/09

I only loose weight when I stick to 3 normal size meals a day. " Nibbling"  six smaller meals a day means that I don''t pick up weight, but I don''t loose any either as my body never go into fat burning mode. You''ll have to check and see what work for you.

I''m also eating lower carb, higher protein, higher fat. It is this combination that makes it possible for people like you and me to only eat three times a day as our bloodsugars remain stable. When one eat high carb like most people (and as usually advised by DietDoc), one''s bloodsugars are on a roller coaster ride the whole day and one NEED to eat every 2 to 4 hours.

And despite what DietDoc says, your diet is not unbalanced. One''s body NEED: protein (for building blocks &  energy), fat (for energy and normal hormonal function), vegetables (lots) and fruit (less) (for mineral, vitamins and fibre). There is nothing in complex carbohydrates such as grains (bread, porridge etc) and high-starch root vegetables (potatoes and sweetpotatoes) that the body does not get from the other food groups, except energy in a format that is too concentrated for the body to handle without getting insulin resistance or diabetes eventually. So you don''t need to eat carbs.

Reply to X

Dear Jane