Posted by: Laydee | 2008-11-05

3 days old puppies

My dog gave birth to these puppies while I was away doing shooping on sunday. When I came back it had already given birthe to two puppies which were unfortunately lying dead at the back of the house. I managed to put the dog into the kennel at later had three more puppies. One died on sunday night and the other two are still alive. I love dogs with all of my heart and cant stand losing any in this way. I have now decided to wake up every hour or two possibly just to step outside and check on left two puppies. Now my hubby is not having enough sleep over this. The mother is not feeding the puppies well enough and I want to know if there is anything I can do to help. I don' t want to lose these two. I am so frustrated I call home every chance I get to see if they are fine and if they can get the mother to feed them. Is there anything i can give my puppies? One of my previous once I took to spca and when i went to check I was told it died but someone there told me it was given to a white guy (dont mean to sound racist) but now I am even scared to even consider that route. Pls help

Dear Laydee

You can feed them totally on milko pup. Every 3-4 hours will do.

Posted by: Laydee | 2008-11-07

Thank you so much for the replies. My dog sleeps comfortably in a kennel inside a cage. Also I would not be waking up every hour if it weren' t to see if they are ok. I also do this in order to see if there is a need to change the blanket. Yes, I am having it sterilised once fit enough. You make sound like I am neglecting them and that is not true. And let me make it clear, the puppy that I took to spca was given to me by a person who could not handle having dogs in his space. This is it' s first litter. Thank you once again for the replies

Reply to Laydee
Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-05

You say your dog is outside - but I wonder if you know that a new mother dog needs a very peaceful, sheltered and safe place where she can feel confident her puppies won' t come to any harm?

Also: you say you get up every few hours to check - is that just to keep you happy so you know what' s going on, or are you able to do anything for the dog or the puppies that might make a difference?

What kind of dog is this - is she big, or small?

You can buy special puppy milk, you can ask at the vet' s, and then, depending on the size of the puppies, you can feed them with a bottle of some sort. Talk to your vet for advice. Do NOT give the puppies ordinary milk - that is not good for them, specially not if they are this young.

And you' ve already been advised to have her spayed once these puppies grow a bit - PLEASE do that, it' s much healthier for her, and then you won' t have to go through this again.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Mandi | 2008-11-05

yes, speak to your vet.

And PLEASE have her sterilized.. You' ve already had to take a puppy to the SPCA, do you want to keep going through that? How would you know if the puppies are going to good homes? And how would you feel if those puppies end up in the street, or being put down?

It' s also not healthy for your dog to have litter after litter and if you love her so much, then you will do everything in your power to keep her safe and happy, right?

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: f | 2008-11-05

go speak to a vet... they can help

Reply to f