Question
Posted by: KK | 2008/08/19

3 500cal = 1kg?

I know in order to lose weight I need to use up more calories than I consume. I have being eating correctly and gymming and have lost 5kgs so far - I' m aiming for 10.
I read in some magazine (I cant remember which and don' t want to lie) that if you burn 3 500kcal thats equivilent to 1kg.
How true is this?

Thanks!

Dear KK
Theoretically 1 kg of fat contains 9000 calories! but if you do exercise you not only burn energy during your sessions, but also for about 24 hours after exercise because the exercise stimulates the so-called Basic Metabolic Rate (the energy we use to keep our body processes working even when we are at rest). So we generally it is recommended that a person who wants to slim should reduce their energy intake by 500 cal a day (3500 cal per week) and increase their energy output by doing 30 min of aerobic exercise a day (the energy used up depends on body weight and type of exercise). On this type of regimen it is possible to lose between 0,5 and 1 kg of weight per week.