Question
Posted by: Nthabi | 2008/08/18

2year old nose bleeding

My 2 year old son yesterday morning woke up bleeding seriuos through his one nostril. He didnt show any distress of some sort like headache. He was actually playing and pointed ou to me that he is nose bleeding. Is this something to worry about? Should I take action quickly?

My mum says its this him banging his head agaisgt the wall when sleeping,others think its the exposure to the sun,he doenst like wearing a cap or a hat on when playing outside.

I would not want to speculate but I dont want to sit.

Nthabi

Dear Nthabi
Sometimes it is just a small vein on the inside of the nose that breaks easily if he rubs his nose or blows too hard - we see this often when it is very dry or with kids with a slight allergy. You can put a little bit of vaseline in his nose, but if this happens often rather take him to the doctor as they can put something on the vein to stop it from bleeding.