Question
Posted by: Pregnant | 2012/03/29

2nd time pregnant and 1st pregnancy weight still there

Hi Diet doc, thanks for all your wonderful advice.
I am currently 19 weeks pregnant with my second baby. Unfortunately with the first one I gained a total of 23kgs, far too much, and after the baby was born, I still had 13kgs to loose. I have been unable to loose it as sticking to an excercise programme has been difficult and intially with the exhaustion I easily reached for sugary things to pick me up. This did not help. Two years later I am pregnant with my second and still carrying the first baby weight of 13kgs. Because in the beginning of both my pregnancies, but esp my first I was ravenous, this time I joined weighless to find out how much I could eat and to get the food lists. I have gained about 2kgs so far, which I am quite pleased about considering that I am overweight. My BMI was 27 before pregnant. I am considering not carrying on with weighless as I am doing well on my own sticking more or less to the eating formula and tracking progress on the graph. Also with this pregnancy I do not crave as many sweet things as I did previous and am not as ravenous in the second trimester, possibly because I am already overweight. Previous to my first pregnancy I lost 25kg with loads of excercise and strict eating, finally weighing 60kg at 1.64m so I do have weight issues due to my sweet tooth, but really don''t want to have to start at that point again after this pregancy. My question is when it comes to breastfeeding, do nutrtional requirements change much compared to when pregnant in terms of calories? Perhaps it would then be best to rejoin after the baby is born. Thaks very much!!

Dear Pregnant
Congratulations on your second pregnancy! I think you are being very sensible in your approach to the potential weight gain that does accompany most pregnancies. The general guideline for Moms who are overweight at the start of their pregnancies, is to aim for a weight gain not exceeding 11,5 kg over the 9 months (i.e. 1.3 kg per month on average). So at this stage you are keeping within these limits. One of the advantages of Weigh-Less is that the support you receive from the group sessions does help with motivation. You will have to decide if you are motivated enough to carry on without this type of support or if you will slip back into indulging that sweet tooth of yours! During breastfeeding the energy requirements are moderately increased (an additional 500 kcal/day or 2100 kJ/day), but your requirements for vitamins and minerals esp. calcium, iron, zinc, etc, will increase quite a lot. To achieve this type of intake of protective nutrients it is important that you use a well balanced diet such as the Weigh-Less eating plan. Wishing you all the best for this pregnancy and a swift return to your pre-first baby weight.

1

Dear Pregnant