Posted by: Me | 2009-03-13

2nd time lucky?

Hi there!

Im a young lady who broke up with her long standing b/f a while ago cos he was inappreciative of me. I always came 2nd best if not last to him. I have very recently met a guy whom I think I can build a life with, the problem is he works in a supermarket(to pack things on the shelves). Im doin very well career-wise, earn a 5-digit salary and my career prospectives are increasing, meaning my salary will increase by a considerable amount very soon. I think im really into this guy and I don’ t want the salary difference to come between(don’ t care about it actually). My problem is Im ashamed to tell people where my new b/f works, I think they will laugh at me behind my back. Im even afraid to show public affection.

What if im letting someone who could have treated me right go?

I;m sure other readers will be able to give yoh more useful and helpful comments than I can

Posted by: also | 2009-03-13

u may be happy... but it does not sound as if you' re content!

Reply to also
Posted by: katy | 2009-03-13

ihave to admit that this ounds like a chick flick done over too many times.

Let' s look at teh facts.. You' re already embarassed by him and with you moving further and further up the corporate ladder is GOING TO increase teh gap between you and him UNLESS he has dreams and ambition to want to do more than just " pack shelves" .

Eventually you' d go to business functions WITHOUT him because you' re a high-flyer and as far as society' s concerned, well... he' s no-where close to any of your achievements.

Social status is a factor that shouldn' t matter in relationships but it does... And in your case, it already matters...

EIther you need to find a way to work past the job thing or rather end the relationship before you do more harm.

I may sound naieve, but when I walk in the road or anywhere with my partner, I wantto be proud and I wantto show him off to the world because to me, he is EVERYTHING!

Reply to katy
Posted by: Me | 2009-03-13

Thank u so much guys.

Yes, so what if he packs groceries, so long as im happy and content in the rel/ship, right!?

thanks once more for the advice!

Reply to Me
Posted by: Soul | 2009-03-13

I have to agree with everyone here, to heck with what everyone thinks it' s about you and your happiness. Just one word of advise beware of how you are with him in public not showing your effection, if he picks up on it and he learns that you are embarrased by what he does for a living you could end up loosing a gem.

What matters to you more love or money? What have you got to loose here nothing but what seems to be a wonderful guy...go for it!!!

Reply to Soul
Posted by: DODDS | 2009-03-13

You sound very naive, for the fact that you mention it, it means you are concerned about what your boyfriend does for a living, and to you that matters. Eventually you are the one who has to make the final decision - whether to stay with the guy who drives a lambourghini and remain miserable or to go for a WINDOW WASHER who treats you like a QUEEN and makes you feel special. YOU CHOOSE GIRL!!

Reply to DODDS
Posted by: everytime baby | 2009-03-13

love over money :-)

Reply to everytime baby
Posted by: cally | 2009-03-13

Hey there,
Go for it. At least he has a job and is being a responsible adult. He isn' t too proud to do what needs to be done, and that' s always a good sign. Try my perspective: My bf has been unemployed since last year June, but he' s too proud to ask contacts for a job, too proud to do anything he considers too " menial" , and expects to walk into a high level position. He' s too embarrassed to admit to anyone that he' s been jobless for so long (hasn' t even told his best friend), yet is too good to do anything he considers to be beneath him.
I' m like you, excellent career prospects, about to get a massive increase, etc, yet my man doesn' t even have a job packing at a grocery store. Be proud and happy that he' s even got a job. times are hard, and hey, its the 21st century... time for the ladies in the relationship to be the breadwinners... :)
And anyway, love is love. It' s blind to careers.

Reply to cally
Posted by: T | 2009-03-13

Don' t care what people say. It' s the same people who wouldn' t believe you if you complained about how your well-off unappreciative ex treated you. At the end of the day, YOU go home with that person, you know what you love about them. Everyone else can go to hell.

Reply to T