Question
Posted by: Zel | 2008-11-14

2nd pregnancy

Doctor

I have a boy aged 1year3monts. I used pregnal injections to regulate or start my period, Then I went on Clomid as I wasnt ovulating. After the 4th time I got pregnant. We have been trying for 8 months now and I had 3 rounds of Clomid allready. I am a bit nervous that it wont happen for me a second time. What is your opinion on this? I am 33.

Dear Zel

I would certainly not recommend using clomid on a continuous basis as this has been shown to cause further hormonal imbalance and the risks of ovarian cyst formation. My recommendation is that a full hormone profile be done as a starting point and to treat any hormone imbalance appropriately. Should ovulation dysfunction be the only problem then certainly further trials of clomid on an intermittent basis may be considered. But this should be coupled with careful ovulation monitoring using the urine LH testing kits such as Clearplan and timed intercourse. Should 3 such well co-ordinated programs not succeed then it would be recommended that you see a fertility specialist and you and your partner be further investigated.