Question
Posted by: Maria | 2012/01/12

2nd Opinions

I''m considering going to a different p-doc for a second opinion on my diagnoses and treatment. What is the etiquette around doing this?

The only time I ever went for a 2nd opinion from a specialist was with my daughter''s hearing problems. I spoke to ENT#1 in the morning but didn''t mention that I was going to see ENT#2 in the afternoon. This backfired when ENT#2 promptly called ENT#1 to have a chat... I felt rather silly.

With a p-doc, can I ask for a copy of my records? How do doctors feel about that sort of thing? At times over last the couple of years my brain was so fried, I can''t remember what meds I was on for how long, what the dosages were and how I responded.

Scratches to kitty, CS!

Often a second opinion may be a good idea, and any good and sincere shrink should agree to the suggestion and help as needed to make it happen.
As in your ENT example, its best if specialist 2 can discuss the case with specialist 1, especially to get information about how the diagnosis(es) were made, what treatments have been tried, with what benefits or problems, and so on.
I believe any patient has the right to ask for a copy of their records ( though if they're in a typical doctor's handwriting, they may be inscrutable, even if you're really good at scruting ! ). But any responsible doc should be prepared to write a short summary of medication details, etc., for you to use ; and shouldn't be really hurt if you explain that you'd like to set your mind at rest by having a fresh view of the situation.
Kitty would rather, I suspect, find a way to take off her fur coat in this hot and humid weather.

2

Posted by: info | 2012/01/12

under the freedom of information act you are entitled to see any doc written about you - this includes dr notes ad interestinly your hr file.

with doctorss they may charge an admin fee , even the uk nhs does this.

Reply to info