Question
Posted by: Jes | 2012/10/12

2nd Opinion on Antidepressent - Valdoxan

I''m suffering from Post Natal Depression, my baby is 4 months old.

I was initially on Depramil 40mg (put on by my GP) and had a relapse a month after birth. I saw my Psychiatrist and she put me on to Valdoxan 25mg on 17 August. I have improved slightly however i still felt down and hectic anxiety and lack of interest in doing things - everything seemed like a huge challenge. So my dosage was upped 2 weeks ago to 50mg. A week after that my anxiety got worse and my Psychiatrist added Wellbutrin.

I felt good for a week, and now am feeling horrible again, hectic anxiety and feeling that i''m slipping back.

Can you please advise if this is normal/common, today i''m effectively on week 8 of taking the Valdoxan.

Should i wait longer or insist on trying another AD? and what would you recommend?

Obviously, you basically need to discuss this in detail with your psychiatrist, who will know all the most relevant details. I haven't come across Valdoxan causing increased anxiety, though some antidepressants certainly can, but with the added psychological and hormonal components of a PND, one needs to be flexible in considering alternative treatments. Within 4 weeks, let alone 8, on any AD, one should have seen its full potential benefits, and if its not adequate, one would then consider trying an original tactic.
Sometimes, too, its worth adding some CBT style counselling from a psychologist to the mix, to help deal with the inevitable psychol;ogical aspects of such illnesses.

1