Question
Posted by: Tammy | 2010-02-10

2kgs in 2 days?!

Hi Doc, I haven' t been able to do my regular 1 hour exercise for two days due to migraines. I weighed myself this morning and I' m up by 2kgs (last weighed on Sunday). Is that possible? Monday I did 40 minutes walking, yesterday I did 30 minutes. I' ve been good with my diet- with the exception of the chocolate I' ve eaten (equivilent to about a slab over the two days) and some biscuits on Monday. Is it possible that I put on 2kgs just by eating some chocolate and doing a bit less exercise?

Hi Tammy

Yes, there are a few things that can cause this jump. Some are really mundane - the scale may be faulty. You might have eaten more during the day, you may have had a glass or two more of water (or tea/coffee/juice...).

It's not doing less exercise though, you don't change body mass that quickly doing less exercise, so it's more likely just the timing of when you weighed in relation to when you ate. It can happen quite easily, and that's why it's important to weigh at the same time, preferably before you eat. And make sure that you use the scale the same way - even the placement on a soft vs hard surface, or on tiles that may be tilted, can affect the reading.

3
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-02-19

Hi Tammy

Reply to fitnessdoc
Posted by: Tammy | 2010-02-17

Hi Maureen you need to ask your own question to get a response.

Reply to Tammy
Posted by: Maureen | 2010-02-15

Hi Doc. I am 36, 1.72 m tall and weigh 105kg. I have started on an exercise program that includes +- 5km walk on the treadmill 5 days a week.The entire walk takes about an hour. Is that too slow, as by the time I finish I' l huffing and puffing? I have also started weight training but I' m still struggling and not able to do much more than 5 minutes. However, I have only lost about 3 kg in almost 6 weeks and I' m getting a bit despondent. I' m watching my diet and not overeating nor starving myself. Should I go on with the walking? Please help

Reply to Maureen