Question
Posted by: Peta | 2011/01/14

28 month old

hi Dietdic
I posted earlier about my little boy who is 28 months old and was weaned from his feeding tube about 3 months ago.

I am concerned as he is averaging about 200-300ml a day and l am wondering whether this is enough fluid for him.

Here is basically what he eats in a day but he is losing weight and not gaining - now 11.3kg and on discharge from the tube weaning programe was 11.85kg. He is 83cm in height. (birth weight 2.78kg at 36wk, 47cm tall)

Do i need to take him to a dietician and HOW ON EARTH do l get him to eat fruit which he never has before and shows no interest in, except grapes? Is he getting a balanced diet if you consider this is a sample of what he might eat in a day ?

Breakfast - jungle oats with added spoon pediasure. Full cream milk - has maybe 10-15 teaspoons
snack - tuc biscuit and 4-5 grapes / jelly / yoghurt (if he eats 2 teaspoons max)
lunch - tablespoon of pumpkin, a couple of peas, pork sausage mashed with rice/mash and gravy
snack - savoury biscuits / flapjack / custard / yoghurt/ flings
supper - scrambled egg with full cream milk, cheese added for protein (small amount), 1/4 slice wholewheat bread

Is he eating enough to grow? i am concerned that he is losing weight and hasnt actually put on weight or grown in months now! Also, he wont drink or eat much dairy..even ice cream etc that kids usually like.

I offer him juice / tea / pediasure / FC milk etc throughout the day but if he drinks between 200-300ml it is a lot. He is otherwise happy and sleeps well.

Any advice would be appreciated.
P

Dear Peta
From what you describe I do think that you should take your dear lad of 28 months to see a dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) because it is essential that someone assesses your son's development and his food and liquid intake directly. The fact that he is not gaining weight and drinking much liquid requires such an assessment. For example, children should ingest approx. 60 ml of liquid per kg of body weight, so your son requires 60 x 11.3 = 678 ml of liquid per day and you mention that he is only having a maximum of 300 ml a day. His food intake is also rather low for a child of more than 2 years at which age one would expect a child to eat larger portions of the offered foods.
So please take him to a dietitian ASAP.
Holding thumbs for both of you

1

Dear Peta
So please take him to a dietitian ASAP.
Holding thumbs for both of you