Question
Posted by: Susan | 2010-02-01

25km Walk

Hi, I am training to do my first " long"  walk of 25km. I am currently walking 5km 3 times a week, have only been doing this for past 2 weeks and want to do a 10km walk by end of this week and then go back to 5km 3 times a week. Is that enough for a 25km walk in March 2010 or do we need to up our distance? Also how much should we walk in the week before the 25km walk? Tks a mill
Susan

Hi Susan

I think you'll need to up the distance. You'll be able to see how it goes this weekend when you do 10km, but I suspect that you'll need to be doing at least one walk of 15 km by March. It doesn't mean that your 5km walks are wasted, but that one session, where you walk for between about 2 hours, is actually quite important. Otherwise, you'll hit 25km and that takes close to 3 hours, which is a huge step up from your regular walk.

So I'd say you should aim for 4 walks a week, 3 of them can between between 5 and 10km, but one should be increased progressively so that by March, you're able to walk for 2 hours. Then 25 km should be doable.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-02-02

Hi Susan

Reply to fitnessdoc