Question
Posted by: Peta | 2010/11/16

25 month old tube weaned child

I posted my question under the paed''s website but he said i should rather ask you.

My little boy aged 25 months has become feeding tube weaned after taking his food solely through a mickey since 9 months.. We have come back from Austria 2wks ago where he participated in a tube weaning program (www dot notube dot at) where he came back to SA tubeless and eating and drinking independently.

My question is this - he is quite small for his age heightwise (84cm) and weighs 11.4kg. What is the normal weight range for a child his height?

At the moment he is eating well and drinking pediasure (which we used to tube feed him but now he takes orally). He has 300-400ml pediasure a day between meals and about 100-200ml water / rooibos tea / juice.

I dont want to really change anything while he is eating and drinking but also want to ensure that he gets enough nutrients and doesnt just start getting fat.

After 15 months of being purely tube fed, he is slowly getting used to foods and the taste thereof and he is into savoury things at the moment. He is not eating meat however, sucks on it but not eating it. Howelse can i get protein into him? He loves soft boiled eggs, can i give him one of those daily or will it give him cholestrol?

Peta

Dear Peta
You must be so pleased that you 25 month-old son is at last weaned off the tube and can start eating normally. To answer your questions: On average a child who is just a month older than 2 years weighs 12 kg and is about 81 cm tall. So if you consider what your lad had to go through, he is actually doing very well. The Pediasure is a well balanced infant feed which should provide all the nutrients he requires, including protein, so that any solids that he eats are a bonus. Try mincing meat and mixing it with a bit of gravy or mashed cooked vegetables so make it easier to swallow. As he gets used to chewing and swallowing solids you can gradually make the meat mixture less liquid. Rather give your lad a soft boiled egg every second day because the yolk is high in cholesterol. I would also recommend that you take him to a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will be able to assess his growth and also calculate the nutrient intake he is getting. If he should require any additional supplements (calcium, iron, etc) the dietitian will be able to recommend such a supplement.
Wishing you and your brave lad all the best

1

Dear Peta