Question
Posted by: David | 2009/12/15

22 and GREY hair....... (

Morning

I'  m a 22 year old male student. I have many grey hairs and its starting to worry me big time!! I dunno if the grey hairs are a result of poor diet although, I like to think I eat pretty decently...sure there are months were I eat terribly. I often take a multi vitamen, omega3+6+ selenium tablets. I was on Ritalin for some time. Don'  t know if that can be a factor. Also I was on Roaccutane for about a month. Dunno if that might have caused my grey hairs. I am under a huge deal of stress. I gym often and I'  m often happy so dunno if i'  m that '  stressed'  out.

Is it normal for lots of grey hairs at my age? Should I worry or just understand my genetics aren'  t the most colourful )

Oh ya and do you recommend semi permanet hair dyes. Apparently they wash out after every use. So can'  t be that harmful.

Kind Regards
David

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi David, thank you for the question.

The early appearance of grey hairs (the loss of the hair follicle’s ability to produce pigment) is most probably due to a genetic predisposition; however one should consider having blood tests performed so that one can exclude dietary deficiencies and hormonal changes. I am not aware of Ritalin causing grey hair however the Roaccutane may have affected the pigmentation of the hair but this should reverse once the tablet has been stopped. If all the blood tests and your physical examination is normal then my advice would be to discuss the use of hair dyes with a professional hair stylist.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2009/12/17

Hi David, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert