Question
Posted by: Tumi | 2011/02/15

21 weeks pregnant

Dear Doctor

I am 21 weeks pregnant and 43 yrs, I started seeing the gynea at 9 weeks. To y suprise I havent been for any blood tests so far. My last scan was at 9 weeks. I have seen the Gynea at 16 weeks and at 20 weeks al he did was to check the baby''s heart beat. Please advise if this is normal.

I am healthy and the baby is moving, are the other tests no necessary?

Yes, they should be done. ALso you should have been offered screening for Down syndrome.

4

Posted by: Purple | 2011/02/16

That is a bit odd.

The heart beat should be checked at every appointment, along with your urine and your blood pressure.

It is usual that you do a nuchal translucency scan at 12 weeks along with blood tests (that you do a week or two earlier) to assess your risk of downs syndrome and whether you should consider an amniocentesis or not.
Then at 20 weeks a foetal anomaly scan is done where they count fingers and toes and check kidney function and various other things.
Generally even women with mid wife care get sent to the back up gynae for these two scans (and a scan right at the beginning to confirm the pregnancy).
As far as I know, even government hospitals offer these as part of their ante natal programmes.

Most gynae''s also do a quick scan at every appointment (mostly I think just because us moms like to see our babies), but they check the position of the placenta, listen to the heart beat, see how baby is lying, check baby is growing nicely and so on.

If you feel the care you are getting is sub standard, now is the time to find another gynae. Ask around amongst other women and find one that you will be happy with.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Nini | 2011/02/16

as far as I know there are blood tests that need to be done at 12 weeks, and then again before 21 weeks? I might be wrong, but that''s what I remember. Wait gor gynea to answer, but I am sure there should have at least been 1 test by now.

Reply to Nini